Blog

Suffering from COVID post-vaccination? Here’s all that you need to know

Well, the last 18 months have been the most difficult for all of humanity. From locking ourselves down to losing our near and dear ones to the deadly virus, all of us have gone through a paradigm shift in the way we feel & live. However, the worst is now behind us. With multiple vaccines being introduced and a large chunk of the population getting vaccinated every day – the future seems full of hope.

One thing, however, which has been making the news, time and again, has been infections that are caused post-vaccinations. So, while a tiny number of people belong to a post-vaccine-virus-contraction group, it is still imperative to iron out any confusion in the form of questions that might arise in the masses.

Dhani’s Brand Head, Vivek Bhatia, spoke to Dr. Vinod Dhole about the growing concerns amongst the masses and the precautions we all need to practice. Dr. Dhole is an MBBS, AFIH, PGDMLS, and PGDHHM with more than 20 years of experience in Family & General Medicine.

Many people are concerned about contracting COVID even after getting vaccinated. So can people really contract COVID post-vaccination?

Yes, people can contract even after getting vaccinated. We have seen quite a few cases where people have had a positive RT PCR test and have been diagnosed as COVID positive even after receiving the vaccination.

But aren’t vaccines supposed to prevent just that?

It is essential to understand a few things. First, the vaccine is effective up to a certain extent, i.e. approximately 80%, to prevent someone from getting COVID; its primary role is in preventing deaths and hospitalisations due to COVID. However, there is still a chance 20% of people who have been vaccinated may still get infected. Hence it is not unusual that a person who has received the vaccine may be infected with COVID. Secondly, the complete immunity of the vaccine develops only 3-4 weeks after receiving the second dose. If someone has been infected in this time before absolute immunity develops, the infection may not be mild.

What does one do to prevent and protect themselves?

The same precautions are still necessary and relevant even after vaccination. For example, appropriate use of a mask, hand hygiene and social distancing are still key things to practice even after getting vaccinated.

Any key message you would like to give our readers?

Please continue to maintain all safety precautions. Please reach out to your doctor in case of any queries – our doctors at Dhani will be happy to help you with all your health concerns. You can get in touch with a Dhani doctor on a video call in just 10 seconds, any time of the day or night. We also offer free consultations for the first 30 days.

 

If you feel any COVID related symptoms, do get in touch with a COVID care specialist doctor on the Dhani app. On Dhani app, you can get connected to a doctor over a video call in just 10 seconds. 200+ Doctors are available 24×7 to assure your well-being. If you still haven’t, download the Dhani app today and get unlimited free consultations for 30 days

To know more, tune in to Hello Health podcast on Dhani Zone each week, where we pick trending health topics, bust myths, and most importantly, give the listeners the answers they seek.

Share now

Please a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *